MacTCP is the older "classic" TCP/IP architecture supported by Apple.
Apple has replaced MacTCP with Open Transport as of Mac OS 8.0. If
you are still using an Apple OS that requires you to run MacTCP you
should be using version 2.0.6 of MacTCP. You can find out if you have
MacTCP installed by opening your Control Panels folder and looking
for an icon named "MacTCP". Check the Apple
website for more information.
Step 1 - Install MacTCP
MacTCP is for-sale System Software and included with System 7.x. If
you are running MacOS 7.x and do not want to utilize Open Transport
please ensure that you are running MacTCP version 2.0.6. You can download
and install the MacTCP 2.0.4 and MacTCP 2.0.6 updaters from ftp.info.apple.com.
Follow the instructions (included from Apple) for installing MacTCP.
Step 2 - Download and Install FreePPP
Download and install FreePPP
version 1.0.5. Follow the instructions (included) for installing FreePPP.
Step 3 - Configure MacTCP
Open your MacTCP Control Panel.
- The PPP icon should be visible in the window; select it.
Click on the "More" button
- Select "Server" in the "Obtain Address"
- Add the following three entries in the Domain Name Server Information
- The subnet mask, class of address, and gateway address are
obtained at the same time the Macintosh gets its IP address.
- Close the MacTCP Control Panel by clicking the "OK"
Step 4 - Configure FreePPP
Open the Config PPP Control Panel
- For "Port Name" select the port to which the modem
is plugged in.
- "Idle Timeout" should be set to "None".
- "Echo Interval" should be "off".
- "Disable Auto Connect" should be checked (FreePPP
- "Terminal Window" should not be checked.
- "Hangup on Close" and "Quiet Mode" should
- "Long Re-dial Delay" should not be checked (FreePPP
- Click on the "Config" button.
Configure the PPP Control Panel
- Type "NetGate" in the "PPP Server Name:"
- Set the "Port Speed" to the fastest DTE speed the
modem supports. Usually 38400 or 57600.
- Set "Flow Control:" to "CTS & RTS (DTR)".
- Enter the phone number of your local access point in the "Phone
- Set "Modem Init" according to "MacPPP Modem
Initialization Strings" chart. If the modem is not on chart,
the string needs to turn on hardware handshaking, error correction
(V.42), data compression (V.42bis), and to assume DTR is on. AT&F&D0
or AT&F1&D0 often work when in doubt.
- "Modem connect timeout:" should be set to 90 seconds
Click on the "Connect Script" button
- The "Wait timeout:" should be set to 40 seconds.
- Make sure all of the "Out" radio buttons are selected.
- Make sure there is no text in any of the text fields.
- Make sure none of the "<CR>" check boxes are
- Click on the "OK" button.
Click on the "Authentication" button
- Put your username in the "Auth. ID:" field.
- Put your password in the "Password:" field.
- Click the "OK" button. Click the "Done"
Step 5 - Try to Connect to the Internet
- Restart your Macintosh and try connecting.
- Open the PPP Control Panel.
- Click on the "Open" button to connect to NetGate.
- Click on the "Close" button to disconnect from NetGate.