You must be running Open Transport 1.1.1 or greater to use
OT/PPP. OT 1.1.1 should be used with Mac OS version 7.5.3 or
later although earlier versions 7.1, 7.1.1, 7.1.2 are also compatible.
As of Mac OS release 8.1 for the iMac, Mac OS 8.5 for all other Macintosh
systems, OT/PPP has been renamed "Remote Access". NetGate
recommends running the latest version of Open Transport along with
the latest version of Remote Access (both included in the latest release
of the Mac OS). Check the Apple website
for more information.
Download and install OT/PPP from info.apple.com.
Follow the instructions (included from Apple) for installing OT/PPP.
Open your TCP/IP Control Panel and configure it as shown in the picture
Hint: If you are running Mac OS 8.5 or greater with Remote Access
3.0 or greater you don't have to configure the name server addresses.
Apple implemented an extension to the PPP protocol that allows our
access servers to provide the name server information automatically.
- Open the TCP/IP Control Panel and set the "User Mode..."
to "Advanced" (via the Edit menu).
- Set the options as follows:
Connect Via: PPP
Configure: Using PPP Server
IP Address: <will be supplied by server>
Subnet Mask: <will be supplied by server>
Router Address: <will be supplied by server>
Name Server Address:
Starting Domain Name: netgate.net
- The other fields may be left blank.
Open the PPP or Remote Access Control Panel and configure it as
shown in the picture below.
- Enter your login id into the "Name:" field
- Enter in your password into the Password field.
- Enter your local access number in the "Number" field.
- All the remaining default options are "sane" and
will work nicely.
If you are experiencing a problem connecting you may want to enable
"Use verbose logging" under the Options/Connection tab.
If you are using "Remote Access" you will need to do the
following step. Customers using OT/PPP can skip this step.
- Click on the "Options" button - Select the "Protocols" tab.
- Ensure that PPP is selected in the "Use Protocol" pop up menu
item. Leaving "Automatic" selected will significantly increase
the time it takes to make a connection.
- Ensure that the following two items are enabled (checked):
error correction and data compression in the modem.
- Click "OK" to close the "Options" panel.
Select the "Modem" menu item from the "PPP"
menu and configure it as shown below.
- Select the correct modem and interface for your computer
from the pop-up menu.
- Click on the "Connect" button in the PPP window to
- Once you're connected the button changes to a "Disconnect"
button, use it to disconnect.